How we're approaching COVID-19
Last updated May 20, 2020
Physical distancing is essential to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Our office is only open to in person meetings by appointment, but we are still fully operational. Here’s how we plan to operate:
- Most importantly, if you're concerned about how your business or life will be affected by the virus, closures, or social distancing, please give us a call. We’d love to chat about it and, as always, provide free legal information calls.
Every small business owner is struggling with how to stay afloat under the crazy circumstances that we find ourselves in. How can we best look after our employees? How can we make sure we still get food on the table for ourselves? We hear you. A lot of the current anxiety is brought about by uncertainty – what are my obligations to employees, landlords, and suppliers? Will these arrangements continue or be suspended? Is my new method of operating onside with all legal requirements? It’s too scary to try and figure this out on your own through a Google Search.
We're now offering our Counsel on Call Program as a way of assisting local small businesses in navigating these challenging times. You get unlimited 20-minute consultations and a discount on other legal work. Our hope is that this will help you address your worries and sleep better at night. If you need a hand, get in touch and we’ll see if we can help (we still have an obligation to check for conflicts and whatnot). Click here to set up a call.
- We'll be responding to emails and answering phone calls during our regular office hours: Monday to Friday, 9:00 – 5:00.
- If you need to meet with us, we'll schedule a telephone or video meeting depending on your preference.
- As always, you can book an appointment by calling us at 250-837-4971, clicking the “Book an appointment” link in our email signatures, or accessing our online scheduler: calendly.com/mplg (Try it! It’s really easy to use and allows you to pick a time that’s convenient for you).
- We use Zoom for video conferencing. Zoom is free, highly reliable, and works across any platform from a link we’ll send you. We encourage video meetings as it’s the closest thing to an in-person meeting. Social distancing does not mean social isolation, and we’d love to see you!
- If you think you need to meet in person, please give us a call at 250-837-4971, and we will discuss your individual situation.
- Generally, we will be looking to meet in person only with those clients who have upcoming real estate closings or ongoing estate planning and need to sign documents in front of a lawyer. Almost every other instance can be dealt with remotely.
- If an in-person meeting is absolutely necessary, we'll meet you at our office. We have a strict meeting protocol to ensure everyone's safety that we will review with you in detail.
- The direction from the courts is evolving and we will share the latest information here:
- If you need to drop something at our office – consider whether you can send us a scan or a photo of the document (there are many free scanning apps for smartphones - We'd recommend the Office app from Microsoft or Tiny Scanner). If not, please wash your hands before handling it and slip it under our door. We can plan for larger items if you call 250-837-4971.
- If you’d like to pay an invoice, you can do that by following the instructions set out at the bottom of the invoice. Interac e-transfers are preferred. We also accept credit card payments via the link on your digital bill or via our website: https://www.mackenziepeak.com/payments/
We appreciate your understanding for any awkwardness or inconvenience. Thank you for your efforts to socially distance and keep our community strong and vibrant. Stay healthy!